Message from BIA-Hawaii's President, Dwight Mitsunaga
ALOHA TO ALL BIA-HAWAII MEMBERS!
I’m sure you all agree we are very fortunate to still be working during this terrible COVID-19 pandemic crisis. With everything being locked down, the construction industry in Hawaii continues to carry on as an essential business; continuing to build for the needs of Hawaii’s families and our communities. The major economic drivers for the State of Hawaii have always been Agriculture, Tourism and Construction. With the demise of agriculture and the recent tragic decline of our tourism industry, only our construction industry remains. With that said, we need to take on a heavier responsibility to support Hawaii’s economy.
We all need to ensure the construction industry keeps working. Our state’s thousands of construction workers are needed to continue building … especially with the now nearly unimpeded access to project sites. We all know not providing for needs now will only make things worse. Our activities also impact numerous associated and supporting businesses … suppliers, service providers, consultants … and even struggling take-out lunch businesses. WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER!
BIA-Hawaii continues to provide support for our members by providing the latest information on the impacts of COVID-19; and recommendations and requirements for best practices. We need to all act responsibly and ensure we follow all rules and regulations for precautionary actions related to avoiding transmission of this deadly virus. We need to all be transparently responsible as Hawaii’s economic future is depending on the survival of our construction industry. I encourage everyone to observe all COVID-19 health requirements; and all OSHA safety rules. PLEASE WORK WITH EXTREME CARE!
Please be informed a number of cities and states have suspended all construction activities due to the spread of COVID-19; and also due to construction workers’ apparent disregard for health and safety precautions. I ask you all to make sure all workers are aware of requirements and that all supervisors and managers stay on top of everything! A shut down of Hawaii’s remaining economic driver will be disastrous for Hawaii. The State’s unemployment system is overwhelmed … and unemployment should never be an alternative for our industry! TAKE PRIDE!
MAHALO and IMUA!
2020 BIA-Hawaii President
The NAHB has set up a dedicated webpage of useful links and resources for members:
- April 3 - Register for NAHB’s CARES Act Webinar Series
- DOL Issues Final Rule Implementing Employer Obligations Under New Family Leave Law
- DHS Designates Residential Construction as “Essential Infrastructure Business”
- NAHB Chief Economist Provides Economic Update on Impact of COVID-19
- Key Coronavirus Resources for the Housing Industry on NAHB.org
- CFPB Provides Flexibility During COVID-19 Pandemic
- NAHB breaks down Stimulus Package
- NAHB Publishes Construction Job Site Guidance for Coronavirus
- Exposure Prevention Preparedness and Response Plan for Contractors
- Hawaii Exempt - Construction industry allowed to continue operations
- Weekly surveys to help NAHB promote policies affecting the industry
Please visit www.nahb.org/coronavirus for more information.
Articles & Resources
- April 9 - Webinar: COVID-19 Best Practices for a Construction Site
- Federal Resources for Small Business
- Third Supplementary Proclamation - State of Hawaii, Office of the Governor
- Standardized Letter for Essential Workers - Emergency Order No. 2020-02
- CEOs and COVID-19: 10 Steps to Take Now
- North Hawaii Community Hospital seeks masks, other gear
- Local hospitals asking for medical supply donations
- Better Business Bureau YouTube Channel
- Hawaii-Pacific Electronic Crimes Task Force: COVID-19 Related Cyber Scams
Building Trust in Trying Times Webinar