Current BIA-Hawaii Job Openings
Membership & Development Director
The Building Industry Association of Hawaii (BIA) is the VOICE of the Construction Industry. The BIA promotes members through advocacy and education, and provides community outreach programs to enhance the quality of life for the people of Hawaii. The BIA is a not-for-profit trade organization chartered in 1955, affiliated with the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB). Our members build the communities that we call home.
We are looking for a self-starting, motivated professional who excels at providing customer service, sales and marketing. The position is responsible for development and retention of both members and event sponsors. This individual will cultivate and acquire new members and sponsors while stewarding, retaining, and upgrading current member and sponsor profiles.
We are looking for someone to take ownership of growing our membership. This is not a clock-in and clock-out position. Successful candidates will be innovative and engaged in making program improvements, as well as capably creating packaging and promotions that support membership initiatives and sponsors. The Membership and Development Manager is energetic, thoughtful and highly personable in nature and has a positive attitude and values exceptional service, quality work, and relationships.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Serve as the main contact for membership, responding promptly to inquiries from prospective and current members, directors and the public.
- Create, maintain, and develop relationships with BIA-Hawaii members.
- Develop goals and action plans with CEO for membership development and retention, including event sponsorship packages.
- Anticipate needs of members and communicate opportunities for new and renewing members to increase their involvement with the BIA.
- Create a schedule to ensure regular connections with existing members to ensure satisfaction, learn about areas for improvement and discuss member benefits.
- Actively seek out, identify, and connect with prospective new members.
- Survey members and create benefits and relationships to attract and cultivate new members.
- Analyze effectiveness of current membership program services, benefits, and policies on a regular basis. Recommends, designs and implements changes to improve effectiveness.
- Assist in maintaining, managing, and promoting affinity programs/services and benefits.
- Coordinate with the National Association of Home Builders in promoting the NAHB affinity program, Associate Appreciation Month, and orienting new members with NAHB benefits.
- Develop and implement strategy for increasing non-dues revenue.
- Ensure event sponsorships are accurately acknowledged and tracked.
- Assist in creating and updating membership and marketing materials, including letters, flyers for up-coming events, welcome packets, fact sheets, membership directory, surveys, and others.
- Plans and executes membership events with the Event Coordinator, including: General Membership Meetings, Networking Nights, President's Receptions, and the annual Installation Banquet.
- Create invoices for events, monitor attendance, and close payments for events.
- Manage execution of monthly membership meetings, including preparing meting agendas, task assignments, meeting notes and handling meeting logistics. Oversees implementation of action items from committee meetings.
- Coordinate annual membership recognition awards.
- Provide monthly reports to the membership committee and board of directors for new member applications, renewals, and retention.
- Maintain membership database.
- Participate in various networking and promotional events.
- Manages new member application process and produces new member certificates.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Qualifications of Our Ideal Candidate
- Bachelor's Degree required
- Minimum three years' experience in a non-profit membership or development program preferred.
- Strong experience with databases and demonstrated proficiency in MS Office.
- Graphic experience and knowledge of marketing principles, strategies and tactics preferred.
- Strong analytical, report-writing, and communication skills.
- Highly-organized and detail-oriented. Excellent time-management skills with the ability to meet deadlines and maintain composure under time constraints. Accuracy and adherence to timelines are essential.
- Ability to interact with people from all backgrounds.
- Proven ability to work both independently and collaboratively to achieve departmental goals.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills; warm and pleasant demeanor.
- Demonstrated success in fundraising and outside sales.
- Demonstrated ability to create and execute successful events that include fundraising and various sponsorship opportunities.
- Ability to work well with others in a cooperative environment where teamwork and constant communication are essential.
- Professional appearance.
- Ability to project a warm, friendly, helpful, outgoing and mature personality.
- Adept at making a sales pitch; comfortable recruiting new members, partners, and sponsors.
- Ability to nurture ongoing relationships with sponsors to ensure retention.
- Extremely well-organized, goal oriented with very high attention to detail.
- Articulate and comfortable making phone calls and tracking down information and asking questions as needed.
- Willing to learn and confident in proposing innovative ideas to management.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise good judgement, professionalism, and a collaborative style.
- Demonstrated ability to establish positive and productive working environments.
- Demonstrates high integrity and character that inspires trust.
- Ability and willingness to give and receive honest and balanced feedback.
- Is a team player and values accountability.
- Flexibility in working hours, as some evenings and weekend work are required.
- Must have own vehicle with proof of valid Hawai‘i Drivers' License and insurance.
This position does not have any direct managerial responsibilities, but does work closely with the BIA's Event Coordinator and Office Manager.
If you are interested in the position, please submit your resume and cover letter to Mary Ah-Wong, Office Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org.